28 March 2011

Caramel Shortbread




With a couple of night's away coming up, I made this to provide sustenance for those I leave at home. I know its rather large (I made double quantity) but it is very more-ish.  Anyway it is safe to say that with this lurking in the pantry I will not be missed half as much!  This recipe belongs to the one and only Domestic Goddess... Nigella Lawson. I have added white chocolate to the topping purely because that is my way and I like the swirl effect. Leave it out if you don't like it or are a purist, I won't be offended. 

Shortbread

175g Butter
225g Plain Flour
175g Caster Sugar


Caramel
200g Melted Butter
379g Condensed Milk
4 tbsp Golden Syrup


Chocolate
200g Milk Chocolate Drops
100g White Chocolate Drops


To make the shortbread, combine all the ingredients in a food processor and blitz until it looks like fine breadcrumbs. Empty into a baking tin and press down with your hands. 

Place in the oven for 5 minutes at 170 degrees. Turn the oven down to 150 degrees after the 5 minutes and prick the shortbread all over with a fork. Bake for a further 30 minutes. Remove and leave to cool while you make the caramel.

Place the melted butter in a large bowl with the condensed milk and golden syrup. Nigella suggests you microwave this for 6-7 minutes stirring after each minute. It is ready when thickened and pale golden. Unfortunately this did not work for me and after 5 minutes of microwaving I gave up and heated it in a pan. Try it as suggested though – it may just have been me and a lack of patience. If it does not work just transfer to a pan and heat on the hob stirring continuously until thick and golden.  Pour over the shortbread and leave to cool completely by which time it should also have set.

For the final splash of gorgeousness melt the milk chocolate (I do it in the microwave for 2 minutes and stir) and pour over the set caramel using a knife or spatula to spread evenly over the entire top. Melt the white chocolate (this will probably take 2.5 minutes) and drizzle over the top of the milk chocolate. Use a fork to gently zigzag over the milk chocolate creating a swirl effect.

Leave for about 10 minutes until just beginning to set. Take a sharp knife and cut into pieces leaving it in the tin. If you cut when the chocolate is completely set, it will break and leave you with raggedy edges and messy pieces of caramel shortbread. Leave to set completely and then indulge until your heart (or stomach) is content.

No comments:

Post a Comment